Early Childhood Program
Does the program have certified teachers?
Yes, all classes are instructed by teachers and aides certified by the Ohio Department of Education.
What are the program goals?
The program emphasizes six areas based on the developmental states of 3 and 4 year-olds. These are:
- learning to know oneself and understanding differences.
- learning how to relate to others in a positive and supportive way.
- learning how to stay physically healthy.
- learning how to solve problems and make good choices.
- learning that education can be fun and has value for them.
- learning that people do different kinds of work and that all work is meaningful and results in self-fulfillment.
What are the areas of instruction?
Areas of instruction include:
- Language Arts
- Science and Health
- Gross Motor Skills
- Fine Motor Skills
- Music and Visual Art
- Social and Emotional Development
Creative Curriculum and the Early Learning Standards from the Ohio Department of Education are the foundation blocks for our program.
What are the eligibility age requirements?
Children must be three or four years old by August 1 of the school year in which they will attend, and cannot turn five years old until after that date. For example: A child must be 3 or 4 years old on or before August 1, 2004, for the 2008-09 school year.
What are the hours of operation?
Preschool is in session Monday through Friday each week. Holidays and vacation days follow the Chillicothe City Schools’ calendar.
The A.M. class meets 8:30 A.M. to 11:45 A.M. The P.M. class meets noon to 3:15 P.M.
What other services are offered?
The preschool offers:
- Nutritional lunches (A.M. class receives breakfast and lunch; P.M. class
- receives lunch and snack).
- Language development monitored by a licensed speech pathologist.
- Health nurse.
- Motor development teacher.
- Fenced-in playground with safe, challenging play equipment.
- Large indoor play area.
- Home Learning Kits.
- Individualized instruction.
- Child-care before and after school is available to families who enroll in the Preschool/Child-Care Combo Program. The cost is $75.00 per week.
What does the preschool program cost?
There is a sliding fee scale based on income. Further information may be obtained by calling Joy Dunn, Preschool Secretary, at 775-4250, ext. 134.The preschool is licensed through The Ohio Department of Education.
Visit Our Program:
We welcome the opportunity to show parents the outstanding program we can provide for their child. Our activities will help prepare your child for success in school. Parents may visit the school any time and become involved in helping with the child’s learning. We value parental input and assistance in making the preschool experience a worthwhile and memorable time in the child’s life. Please contact me for a tour of our preschool or to answer any questions or concerns you may have. We care about children!